5.28.2011

Hot, Hot,...Hot!

Hello, all! I'm back again today even though we just had a post yesterday. Today's post was rather unplanned but I had the day off and was outside for a few hours enjoying the nice weather. Of course, I had my camera in-hand, giving us today's collection of photographs.

We'll start first with the Oriental poppy, which is a member of the same genus as the opium poppy. The orange-colored variety is the natural form of the flower and a range of other colors have been cultivated over the years. Last year, I saw the pink variety next to the orange ones but didn't see them this year. Perhaps they'll show up later in the season.

Papaver orientale

With the departure of the mudan peonies from the landscape, we have the arrival of other peonies. The most noticeable difference between these peonies is the petal arrangement. The first photo below shows a peony with a single layer of petals, which is a striking contrast to the multi-layered mudan peony.


The single layer of petals appear to be "frosted" along the edge which has quite a beautiful effect. In the immediate vicinity of this peony is one of another cultivar. This type has a couple of more layers of petals that curl in towards the center of the flower.


A little ways away we have yet another type of peony with even more layers of petals. While the previous two peonies have unobstructed centers, this variety has petals sticking straight out from its center. The flower itself is also larger than the previous two but is smaller than the mudan peony.


Remember the "attack of the clematis" from yesterday's post? Well, I couldn't resist and took more photos today. This multi-layered clematis can take over a week to fully open its petals and once it does, it can last for several days. This being said, I'll definitely be taking more photos of these elegant flowers!


Speaking of elegant flowers, here are some iris photos. For some reason, I find myself drawn in by their crests, which look like fingers.




Last but not least, we have some photos of a visitor who might actually be a long-term resident. Over the years, we've encountered a Eastern box turtle just like this one in the front/backyard. This little guy was hanging out under some hydrangea bushes presumable to hide in the shade from the blistering sun. I wouldn't have noticed it had it not been discovered by one of our dogs.

Are you looking at me?!

What struck me the most was the fiery red eyes and unexpected "speed" with which the turtle could move. While trying to take my photos, I had to readjust my position a couple of times since the little guy was trying to get away from me.


Eventually, it did move further and further away from me. Above is the parting shot I snapped. For now, I must do the same since I will be traveling for work next week. Since I won't be home, the next post will likely be in a week or so unless I take more photos in the next couple of days. Until then, happy shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment